Sunday, March 21, 2010

One Word...Doppler.

Because of my history of miscarriages, I am understandably nervous about this pregnancy. Though now out of the really scary part and well into my second trimester, I am still a bit apprehensive. One of my friends recommended me to buy a doppler (a device where you can hear the baby's heartbeat) to use at home. She said it would ease my mind a bit about how the baby is doing. I searched online and found one that had a speaker so both Shane and I could listen to it.
This is the one I got. When it came in the mail, I couldn't WAIT to try it out! The directions say exactly this: Add a generous amount of lubricant to the end of the wand and point the wand at the baby's chest. Hmmm... how in the heck do I know where the baby's chest is?? So I decided to just start searching all around. When I found a heartbeat, I was so excited however it wasn't nearly as fast as I thought it should be. During my last ultrasound, BK's heartbeat was 155 and this heartbeat wouldn't go past 105. I started to get concerned so I posted a question on a pregnancy forum I spend a lot of time on. Someone mentioned it was probably my heartbeat I found and not BK's. Well... that's a relief! I tried again and still could only find my heartbeat. So I got frustrated and gave up for a few days.

A friend I met on the pregnancy forum just got a doppler as well and she said I should try to look lower (near my pelvic bone) and what do you know?? There is was! Clear as day! There was no mistaking it was BK's heartbeat so I sat there for 15 minutes just listening to it. It made me feel so much better!

I thought I would go crazy with this thing using it night and day (as did everyone else that knew I purchased it) but it hasn't been too bad! I've only been using it about once a week or so. It's just so nice to be reassured in between doctor appointments!

Best $60 I ever spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment