Sunday, March 21, 2010

I Have To Do What?!?!


During my first real OB appointment, I was told I needed to look into a prescription called Lovenox. Lovenox is an injectable blood thinner and it is to prevent blood clots from forming in the uterus (do to the previously mentioned m*th*rf*ck*r disease). It is to be taken every single day throughout the entire pregnancy and for 6 weeks after the baby is born. The reason the doctor told me to "look into them" is because they are NOT cheap. By not cheap, I mean $42 a syringe! Let's see.... $42 times 30 days in a month, times 10 months?!?! OUCH! My doctor also mentioned that many insurances do not cover this prescription.. GREAT...

Thanks GOODNESS my insurance does cover this!! I pay $25 (copay) for a 30 day supply. Can't get much better than that! Now.... how am I going to inject myself every single day???

If you know me at all, you know I'm a baby when it comes to things like this. I mean, a few years ago, I couldn't even swallow a pill and now I'm having to give myself injections once a day into my belly?!?! The first night I attempted, I failed miserably... I sat in my bed with the syringe in my hand for 30 minutes. I couldn't do it! I just couldn't! So I called Shane in and told him that he didn't have a choice and he was going to have to do this because I couldn't do it to myself. It took him a few minutes to get prepared but eventually he did it. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

Taking these injections is sort of an aggressive route to my "disease". There are no guarantees because there was no proof that a blood clot is what actually caused my previous miscarriages. I didn't want to take any chances. I wanted to do whatever I could to sustain this pregnancy. And on top of the fact that it was inexpensive, in my mind, there wasn't a choice.

So, I still refuse to give myself the injections. I don't think I'll ever be able to do it but luckily, I have a wonderful husband who is willing to do it for me. (I secretly think he enjoys it sometimes.) Besides the fact that sometimes the injections leave nasty bruises on my belly, it's definitely something I can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment