Sunday, March 27, 2011

Just Call Me "Mommy-Worry-Wart"... FOREVER.

I've always been a worrier. I've always been a "glass half empty" type or as I like to call it, a "realist". I know the two aren't one in the same but I think of them in close vicinity. I think it keeps me from being disappointed when I don't expect much and then pleasantly surprised when great things happen. Becoming a mother has dramatically enhanced these characteristics.

All of this nonsense is leading up to this: As many of you know, Ally was born a little baby (6lbs.). She was perfectly healthy, just a wee-one. In the very back of my mind, I have always thought, "Is this going to affect her development in some way?" I try to ignore my back-of-the-mind thoughts and enjoy every minute of my beautiful Angel Face. It's hard to ignore however when she continues to reach all of her milestones later than the "average" baby. For example, the average baby should typically be able to roll over around 3 months old. Ally didn't roll over for the first time until close to 5 months and still to this day has only done it a handful of times. The average baby should be sitting on their own by 6 months old. At 7 months, she still didn't even seem close to sitting on her own. And then on Friday, she did it! And now she's practically an expert! I think she's very proud of herself!



But that's not all! The other night she picked up a puff from her tray and ate it all by herself! I'm thinking it might have been a fluke but I'll take it! Since then, she picks them up but that's as far as she gets.

But that's STILL not all! This week seems to be a great week of firsts! Because today she sat in a big girl high chair at the Olive Garden! Up until this point, we would bring her in her car seat. It's huge and awkward so I'm glad we're done with that! Yay for Ally!


Oh, she ordered the ravioli and a glass of pinot grigio in case you were wondering.

With all of these wonderful things happening lately, I'm STILL worrying! It exhausts me. I think maybe deleting my FB page would help. Too often I see things like: "My 5 month old is talking!" "My 6 month old is walking!" Ugh! (Nothing against any of my friends who are posting these things. I would post them too.) But every time I see one of these posts I ask myself, "Why isn't Ally doing that yet??"

Maybe she's just a late bloomer and I need to leave it at that. What I do know to be perfectly and honestly true is that I love that little girl more than anything in this entire world and nothing will ever, ever change that. Behind, ahead... In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. That's what I need to keep telling myself.

3 comments:

  1. I am the same way as you and let me just say... at some point she will be walking, talking and even telling you how it should be so for now just enjoy the moment. If the doctors aren't concerned then you shouldn't be (as hard as it maybe to not to compare) some babies don’t do things until they are sure they can do it without being hurt. Example, some little ones wait to walk until they are 13 months BUT they NEVER fall down like there friends that walked at 10. (YEA for less owies) You must be raising a smart cautious little miss. :) I think FB makes it worse on a "glass half empty" kind of gal. Just remember she is just precious and one day when she is 3 you will not even remember when she hit those silly millstones while you chase her around the house and try to force her to put something in her mouth because it is "good' for her. :) You’re a great mom and she will be fine.
    Renee'
    Ps I hope you dont mind the long post I just can totally relate to how you are feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with worrying too much. Parenthood doesnt come with a manual. If it did, I wouldnt have spent most 90% of nights holding a mirror under Kaylas nose to make sure she was breathing when she was a baby. You keep doing what you are doing. Make sure to have a good "Mommy" Support group so you can ask questions, and ALWAYS go with your gut. You have a beautiful daughter, she looks happy and healthy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's typical for firstborns to do things "slower". Aubrey wasn't half as "advanced" as Ariana is. I think Ariana watches Aubrey all day long and is in a big ol' hurry to be just like her big sister. I think there is a BIG gray area of what is a "normal" time frame for babies. And Ally seems to be RIGHT on track. I mean, I would worry if she was 10-12 months old and not sitting up. But by 7 months? That's awesome! Try not to worry- Ally is perfect!!! :)

    ReplyDelete